ecoPRO is an advanced certification. To be eligible for certification, you must meet one or more of the following requirements:
- Be certified by a professional horticultural association (APLD, IA, ISA, WALP/PLANET, WSNLA);
- Be a licensed landscape architect or a graduate of an accredited landscape architecture program;
- Have 3-years landscape experience as well as a horticultural degree or a degree in a related field.
- Have 3-years landscape experience, as well as a Washington Pesticide License.
ecoPRO certification requirements include reading ecoPRO best practices and required study materials and passing an exam demonstrating knowledge of sustainable landscaping principles and best practices.
The ecoPRO 3-day training is not required for certification, but is highly recommended. The training enhances the required study materials, offers interactive training, allows time for Q&A, and provides an opportunity to network with other landscape professionals. The ecoPRO training is open to all landscape professionals who have a basic background in horticulture and landscape management. However, individuals must meet eligibility requirements to sit for the exam and become ecoPRO Certified.
An ecoPRO Certified Sustainable Landscape Professional has demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the following sustainable landscaping best practices:
- Protect and Conserve Soils
- Conserve Water
- Protect Water and Air Quality
- Protect and Create Wildlife Habitat
- Conserve Energy
- Sustain Healthy Plants
- Use Sustainable Methods and Materials
- Protect and Enhance Human Health and Well‐being
ecoPROs are committed to advancing their knowledge and skills. Individuals that have certified as ecoPRO Certified Sustainable Landscape Professionals must recertify every three years by reporting 24 continuing education units (CEUs) and paying a recertification fee of $150. Certification will expire if individuals do not meet the requirements stated in this policy.